Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Charlotte the PR Princess

I think I offended one of my visiting teachers today. She was politely asking me about my transition from New York City life to small town Utah life (I guess she forgot the part when I told her I'm from Utah County and we only lived in New York for a summer).

I made some careless remark about how the two are completely different worlds and illustrated my point by saying that the other day our neighbor up the street had a deer carcass slung across the back of his car, and that when I drove by he waved a dismembered hoof at me in what he must have thought was a friendly and comical gesture. (The neighbor, not the deer--the deer was clearly unable to wave anything on his own accord.)

My VT replied with a tight-lipped "My husband and all my kids are hunters, they all have tags this year." (I don't know what a tag is, but I imagine it somehow makes it legal for people to roam the woods and shoot things.)

Sorry.

At least I didn't launch into an anti-hunting tirade (I do have one prepared in case I ever need one).

3 comments:

Kaitlin Heckert said...

I didn't know you were anti-hunting? Oh we're all just a bunch of animal loving softies in our family! Although something tells me you have more to your argument then just loving our furry friends. And I don't think what you said was rude. You were simply stating the fact that you wouldn't see that in NYC. According to Kait: you're good.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

sounds like something that would happen to me!?...i say, "oh well"

Sharon Gorrell said...

you should just tell her you were best friends with andrea phillips as a child and all will be forgiven.