Saturday, September 25, 2010

At the Car Wash

Last Saturday Pete and I decided that our cars were way past due for a scrubbing. Out came the buckets, sponges and hoses and went to work cleaning off months of caked on summer dirt. Amelia was inspired by our car washing efforts and decided her "truck" needed a bath too. She babies her wheels just like her daddy.

 
Posted by Picasa


On an entirely different note, I'm pretty excited about the new novel I'm working on. For those of you whom I haven't told, I actually decided to write a (gasp) romance. I think I promised myself at one point that I'd never do that, because, let's be honest, how many romance novels have you ever read that have really changed your life? Or that you even remember three months down the road? Not many in my reader's history.

But this one isn't just going to be a romance. It will have a romance in it, but it's also the story of a family (I always write about families). It is set in New York City (surprise, surprise) probably in Greenwich Village. It's a bakery romance. A feel good, light, hopefully charming, and if I'm lucky, witty romance. And I'm ambitiously hoping to juxtapose a past and present element to the story. A then and now historical parallelism.

It's nothing like the novel I've been working on off and on (more off than on) for two years. Did I finish that novel? Don't ask. But I will. Maybe. It has too many scenes that I love too much to forget about completely. So likely, yes I will finish it. When I am struck with the brilliance to do it right. Until then, I'm enjoying light and happy romance.

So far the BR (bakery romance) consists of a loose plot outline, five solid chapters, several pages of notes and a recipe. Tons of dirty writing (as in rough draft, come on people) left to do and a good deal of research. But oh, so exciting! Please bless I stay motivated and actually finish this one!

3 comments:

Here's hopin'... said...

If you were to look into the Walt Disney Archives, you'd see that some of his projects were several decades in the making. Don't base your success on a time line. We all have your back!

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Oh that's so fun!! Is it gonna be kinda like Julie and Julia? Because I kind of thought Amy Adams was annoying in that.And what time period is the "then" going to take place?! Oh I do hope you finish it!

Sharon Gorrell said...

i do like millie's fwiminuit! did anyone think she was doing a fundraiser?