Thursday, July 29, 2010

Writing Contest

There's this writing blog that I sometimes read when I'm not too busy being brilliant or chasing my toddler out of the bathroom wrapped in toilet paper; and they're having a fun little writing contest. Here's how it works; you choose an item your MC would love to own on this website and write in your MC's voice a 250 word explanation of why he/she wants that item. Then you post your entry in the comments section.

Easy.

The winner gets $60 toward any purchase on that site. I decided to enter 'cause, why not?

This was my entry:

Reasons why I need that mirror that you mount on an arm thingy and can swivel all around:

1. Ever since I had to cut that wad of gum out of my hair it takes a lot of time and expensive salon grade products to control the wild, mad mess that tragically has become my hair.

2. If I had that swivel mirror I could see my head from all different angles to make sure nothing is sticking up and making me look like one of those stuffed pheasants you see in crappy restaurants that wrongly think a little taxidermy makes them look charming and rustic.

3. Everyone would be happy, except for maybe Mom who thinks I use too much of her mousse and anti-frizz serum. But you can’t expect one little mirror to solve all the world’s problems can you?

The End.

If you think you can do better, you should enter too. Or even if you don't, it's a good writing exercise to get to know your characters. And fun to shop.

P.S. I won a writing contest once. It was a personal essay contest and I was a junior in high school. I haven't entered a writing contest since, until today.

2 comments:

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Well Charlotte, I'm real proud of ya! I got a good 1/2 hour lecture today from the head of my fashion design department on how we all need to put our work in competitions. That's how you get discovered! People recognize your work! You may even end up in someone else's blog! Well anyway, I think it's a good idea just to keep up on your skills. Nice!

Andrea and Preston said...

Are you guys still in NYC? We are coming there next month for a couple days before we go on a cruise that leaves from new york! We are coming on the 12th!