Monday, July 19, 2010

Hibernating

It's too hot outside, so I've been reading a lot lately. And when I say a lot, I don't mean just a little here and there in spare moments. Unfortunately I have been engaging in the behavior my husband refers to as "binge reading." The kind that keeps me up all night and induces me to ignore my family for several hours at time while I plow through novel after novel. It sometimes happens when I find a series.

The last time this happened was when I read the first two of Suzanne Collins Hunger Games books. Still can't wait for the third one to come out.

This time it was books three and four in Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series. I read the first two in the series a couple years ago and thought they were okay, but I never felt overly compelled to continue. But a few friends and trusted book recommenders love the series so I picked them back up. The books I mean. And they were fun. As I admitted earlier, I binge read them. But come on Mull, (spoiler alert) you killed the romance. Honestly, the blossoming romance between Kendra and Gavin in book three is what made me go out and buy book four. Now that he killed the romance like a dragon slayer taking down the inhabitants of Wyrmroost, I'm back where I was two years ago; I don't particularly care to finish the series. Sigh.

Aside from reading until I'm sleep deprived and get headaches, I have been writing a lot too. New chapters of my book are coming together, which excites me more than I can say. But I need one or two readers who like YA and want to help me by critiquing my work. Any takers? I promise there are no vampires, dragons, werewolves or other fantastical creatures lurking in the pages of my novel, it's not my style. At least not for now. Unfortunately the market for paranormal romance is really hot right now, so maybe I should rethink that.

4 comments:

CassiLou said...

Me! Me! Me! Me! I LOVE LOVE LOVE YA fiction. Seriously. I would love to read your work. Please!

Marianne said...

I think all I read is YA fiction these days (aside from the random historical fiction or biography...currently contemplating picking up John Adams, but haven't gotten the motivation yet), so I'd read some. :) Besides, it might help motivate me work on my own. I think I need to work on outlining - at least that's what my little writing group and I decided. I need to get a good outline going so sitting down to write isn't so daunting. (Oh, and I just finished book 2 of the Hunger Games and am super peeved that I didn't wait until the third was out to start reading them!) I'm envious of your "literary" time! :)

The Broderick Family Blog said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time getting into fable haven. I heard so many good things about it but am only halfway through the first one. Good luck with your own book. I'm sure it will be fantastic. :)

Matt and Dani said...

I would LOVE to read! im not sure about how to critique...you'd have to instruct me there!1 we miss you guys!