Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Destiny is calling, and I'm scared to answer.

I am afraid of research. I finally wrote through a block in my story yesterday, but if I accept the direction it seems to want to take I'll have to do a TON of research and to me that means risking sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about because how do I know when I've done enough research? Sigh.

It also means that my story may turn out a bit heavier than I originally intended, which is good and bad. Good because I'm not a big fan of reading fluff, so why should I write it? Bad because I think fluff is easier to write and I just want to get through this novel so I can have one finished and learn from the experience. Then I can write heavier stuff because I'll be wise and experienced and know how to deal with myself as a writer, listen to my characters, craft brilliant plotlines and handle editors.

Do I take the path of research and risk sounding like an ignorant poser writer, or do I stick to the fluff and get 'er done? I think I know the answer to that. But I'm starting to not recognize the project I initially set out to complete and I can't decide whether or not I'm okay with that. As a writer, shouldn't I have some measure of control? Or do I just teach correct principles and trust that my characters will govern themselves to the best possible end?

Writing is harder than people think it is. I should get paid for this.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Isn't it funny that you sometimes can't get your characters to behave the way you want them to? People don't get that...they think that you're WRITING these people, they do what you have them do, right? Yeah, not so true.

I vote for both. Do the research, and STILL get 'er done. That way you can tell me how you pulled it off. :)

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Of course do the research!! J.K. didn't get big for nothin! I'll help you if you need. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll get to work!

Sharon Gorrell said...

don't underestimate the fluff! i quite like some entertaining fluffiness now and then.