Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Update

I suppose I owe it to my (many, many) concerned readers to give an update on the whole eye-crossing situation.

Well my baby needs glasses.

In three days and two (very long) doctor appointments it was determined that she is extremely far-sighted and that the strain of trying to focus on objects nearer to her finally caused her to start crossing her eyes. She needs glasses and will likely be in them until she is about 10 years old, at which point she may be ready to switch to contacts.

So that's it. A lifetime of corrective eye-wear starts now, just before her first birthday.

It would be dishonest to say that I was thrilled, or even relieved. I actually cried for most of the weekend.

But it could be so much worse. Before we got the verdict I had spent a good deal of time online researching all the different things that could cause a baby to go cross-eyed. Horrible things, like brain tumors, strokes, lazy eye muscles and other permanent disorders. My girl just has super-human long range vision and needs glasses to control it.

Of course I started looking for all the places I could find that carried glasses frames for tiny faces, and came up with exactly 2 in the entire county. They both offered the same 3 frame styles to choose from, all made by Fisher Price. Actually, there were only 2 styles, but one style was offered in 2 colors.

These are the frames we picked out:




Except pink. They only come in pink and blue. They should be ready in about a week.

I'm actually starting to feel much better about the whole ordeal. I still don't love the idea of my baby having to wear glasses while she is so small (how am I going to teach a 1 year old to keep her glasses on?) but she is just such a happy little person in general that I'm having a hard time mourning for her.

I do, however, reserve the right to completely freak out if her glasses arrive and they give her huge, distorted bug eyes. I knew a girl in high school with the most unfortunate thick glasses that made her eyes look massive and blurry. If Amelia's glasses do that, I'm going to start searching European countries for pediatric eye surgery options.

3 comments:

Kaitlin Heckert said...

HEEEEEEY!! We didn't even think about eye surgery! Were you kidding about that? Because in a few years that could actually be a fabulous alternative!

Carly said...

just think- she will be so adorable in those little glasses. Seriously!

Here's hopin'... said...

Your baby is going to be beautiful no matter what... You wanna know why?! Because she takes after me! And she's got your bombshell genes!