Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ten Days of Mommyhood and Counting . . .

I like being a mom now better than I did five days ago. I guess that means I'm adjusting. I imagine it also reflects the fact that the Wee Precious is sleeping two and three hour stretches at night now rather than an hour at a time. It also might have something to do with the visit Miss Amelia and I took to the Lactation Clinic—we are both happier ladies for that. I actually haven’t cried at all in two whole days.

And people are bringing us fabulous meals; it makes me feel a bit guilty for all those pizzas I’ve dropped off to new moms and sick Relief Society sisters over the past couple of years, but hey, at least I never lose any dishes!

And then there's The Precious herself. I just can't stop looking at her. Everytime I think my eyes are about to fall out of my head from exhaustion during late night/early morning feedings, I look at Amelia and say a little prayer of gratitude. I love her. She is my sunshine.

Thanks to all of you who have been so kind to us, Pete and I (and Amelia as well, though she doesn’t express it very openly) really appreciate you. Thanks to Aunt Sarah for coming to our aid in the newborn clothes department. Amelia was living in baggy onsies before you came by with some preemie clothes.

And a very special thank you to whoever gave me Lanolin at my baby shower—I can’t remember who you are right now, but you were divinely inspired and I love you.


4 comments:

Me said...

what a beautiful smile!!

Marianne said...

I was at Addie's 9-month appointment today, and saw some of those teensy newborns there for their 2-week check-ups. That intense period of the newborn days just came flooding back. Sounds like you're doing awesome, and hang in there. Hang out with someone who has recently gone through it (if you haven't already). It's what saved my life during those first eight weeks. :)

Here's hopin'... said...

Okay... put up more pictures of the Babe. I KNOW you and Peter have them! Are you crazy exhausted? I'll have to come down sometime and see what I can do. (one handed).

Elizabeth said...

She's darling. And it can be a rough adjustment. But I loved your line about stopping and looking at her and not being able to stop prayers of gratitude. It's hard not to feel that way when these babes are so precious.