Monday, January 5, 2009

Tsk, tsk, Resolution Hating Pessimists!

I have read some CYNICAL blog posts about resolutions lately. It seems that no one believes in them anymore, which is rather sad seeing as how none of us is perfect yet.

I am maintaining optimism, I believe in goals and progression and that I can be better than I am, even if it comes in slow--ok, nearly imperceptible increments. I'll tell you why I insist on clinging to a belief in resolutions--I wrote another chapter in my novel last Saturday. REALLY. I don't know how long it's been since I've actually sat down at the computer with what I felt was a good and creative idea, and written a new chapter for my young adult novel. (Okay, I guess I didn't write a WHOLE and complete chapter, but I outlined one and filled in dialogue for the most important points I wanted it to include--huge step.)I even changed the direction I want my novel to take, and I feel it is now a bit less cliché and much more meaningful (to me if no one else).

If I can pick up and keep writing my novel months after I've had any real motivation to work on it, then there is still some hope in this world that I can accomplish my goals and dreams. Take that Cynics of the 21st Century!

On another resolution related note, I taught the lesson in Relief Society on Sunday. It wasn't primarily focused on goals, it was more focused on understanding your eternal purpose so you can set goals that actually lead to progression rather than distraction and disappointment. I think it went rather well, for the most part. I used Elder Holland's famous talk about the Great and Spacious Makeup Kit, girls tend to love that one.

So the lesson was really good except I chose to include a personal story about a time when I was beating myself up for not looking as thin and gorgeous as I wanted to and how I had to learn to keep a more eternal perspective about myself, but instead of coming across as a truly profound and life changing story, I think most of the sisters ended up feeling sorry for me. Here I am, eight months pregnant and larger than life, and I'm talking about feeling miserable about myself for being fat. It was a bit awkward.
Luckily, like I mentioned above, Elder Holland smoothed it over for me. I popped in a DVD and let him say it all better than I could. It was a much more effective way to go about teaching the lesson.

So I believe in setting goals—they just have to be the right kind. Not just wishes for a better life and skinnier you, but commitments to becoming what God has in mind for you. A totally different ballgame, but one you can actually win.

5 comments:

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Soooooo you hated my blog.

Bombshell Char said...

Hate would be a rather strong word. I merely disagree with the principles guiding your comments.

Marianne said...

That was inspiring - I've been working on a story for a long time now, and only now and then do I get up the motivation to do real work on it. (I love it when I do work on it - but sometimes the task to finish it, or even make progress, is so huge, I shy away from it.) A pretty good analogy for life, I think. Here's to a new year!

Andrea and Preston said...

You gave a really good Lesson on Sunday, so have no regrets about any of it. You're writing a novel? How cool is that?! I'm glad you guys had a good Christmas! Happy New Year! Hooray for Resolutions! =)

Heidi said...

I'm interested in reading Elder Holland's talk now. Resolutions are good...I need to make some. Very cool about getting more done with your novel.