Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm Becoming Crafty!

Pregnancy brings with it a lot of unexpected changes. Changes that leave an unsuspecting expectant mom barely recognizable from her previous self. I'm not talking about the monstrousity that has become my belly, that was pretty much anticipated. I'm referring to my sudden and intense desire to make things. Lately, if I'm not working on some project for the house, the nursery, or the baby herself, I have a nagging feeling that I am grossly wasting my time. (Even if I'm working--I don't think my boss would appreciate this sentiment if he knew about it).

Here are a few of the many little projects I have recently completed, or am currently working on:

While visiting the boutique at Thanksgiving Point I found a rose wreath very much like this one and was smitten. Their wreath however, was insanely expensive ($99) and I thought "I could make this for a fraction of the price." So I did (with the help of my sister-in-law the florist, thanks Sarah). I'm rather proud of the way it turned out. It will go in the baby's room, naturally.



Then I started making pillows. This will probably end up in the rocking chair (that is in the shop being finished right now). I know it's rather simple, but for someone with my skill level, it was an accomplishment. (If you look closely at this photo you can see the roses on the ends of the crib as bedknobs--we added those too.)



This is the one I'm getting the most raised eyebrows over; my burp cloth collection. I started stitching ribbon, lace, bows and rosettes onto burp clothes. I know, I realize the baby won't care if they're pretty, and she's just going to drool (or worse) on them. But I like them. I like the idea of having pretty things for my little girl, and even more, I like the idea that I was the one who worked to make them pretty and one of a kind. I've made 14 of them now. In fact, I'm going to have to start giving them away as gifts to friends who have babies because they don't all fit in the basket I have for them. (I stitched a ruffle around the basket too, by the way).



Other projects in the works are the bookshelf; I'm covering the back with fabric that coordinates with the pillows (and the curtains I'm making, oh, and the dust ruffle I'm making too).

I got a great deal on a canopy to hang over the crib, but it's rather plain, I'm planning on sewing lace trim on it.

Lastly, and probably most ambitious, I think I want to make the blessing dress for the baby. I attended a baby blessing for Pete's niece a couple weeks ago, and she was wearing a beautiful and unique blessing dress and bonnet. I asked my sister-in-law about it and she said she made them from leftover fabric from her wedding dress. She said it was easy (and I don't think she sews much, so I believe her). Well I bought my wedding dress so I don't have leftover fabric, and I'm not about to cut it up for a blessing dress, but I think I might be able to handle making a simple pattern. And adding lace and ribbon of course, because that's what I do. At least, that's what I do now, if someone had told me five years ago that I'd be making all this stuff just for fun I would have thought it a good joke.

2 comments:

Em and Jorg said...

Oh my bursting with CUTENESS! It's true what you said, she won't care a bit. But there is something so sweet when you bring her home to the space YOU created with all her special things. I'm so excited :D Go, Charlotte!

Elizabeth said...

That wreath is beautiful, Charlotte. I am impressed.