Monday, August 8, 2011

Prodigal Bombshell

I really want to start writing again.

I mean writing seriously. But I'm afraid to make that commitment. Writing is just so . . . so . . . demanding. I took what I then hoped would be a "brief professional sabbatical" from my daily writing routine about, oh, seven months ago, primarily because I was newly pregnant, constantly queasy and all I wanted to do in any precious spare moments was curl up and sleep.

Did I mention that was seven months ago? I guess it just got easy not to write. Because remember? Writing is demanding.

I'm not sick anymore; just continually eating. Kind of like Brad Pitt in the Ocean's movies:


Okay, nothing like that really. But having one hand and a mouth occupied with a granola bar or trail mix at all times of the day does make it difficult to write. Not to mention frequent trips to the kitchen and/or bathroom to refill my stores, or empty them. Enough said.

But I live in New York City now. People here are creative. They sculpt things or paint things or photograph things or cook things or produce things. People sing, they act, they dance; sometimes all at once in a moving subway car. Some people spray paint things on walls and fire hydrants.

I find all this energizing. Alicia Keys was right; this city will inspire you. Being surrounded by the artistic expressions of some of the most creative minds in America makes me want to write again.

But. Writing is demanding. And I'm going to have a baby in ten weeks.

(By the way, I still don't have a doctor for that whole process--I've called six different clinics attempting to schedule an appointment and have been turned down flat by five of them; "I'm sorry ma'am, you're just too far along." The last clinic I called will supposedly call me back sometime today to let me know if one of their doctors is willing to take me on; "I guess you really do need a doctor, and fast." Indeed.)

So perhaps now is not the most ideal timing in the world to throw myself back into a dedicated writing routine? Perhaps I should be spending my energies finding a crib, practicing breathing exercises, sorting out insurance and maybe even finding a qualified individual to deliver my child?

But I want to start writing again. And now is almost certainly a better time than after the baby is born. So I believe I'll take advantage of the inclination to write while I have the energy to do so. Wish me luck; I'm going in!

2 comments:

Renee Collins said...

You can do it!

Though, I didn't write much AT ALL when I was pregnant, so don't be too hard on yourself. It's rather draining to grow a complex, living organism in your body. Go figure.

Stephanie Braithwaite said...

I'm sending lots of good luck in your ventures! Here's hoping you get to make the progress you want to make!