Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Champagne Taste

But I'm afraid we'll be living on a beer budget.

As our move to the city draws ever closer (and perhaps as my nesting instinct begins to chafe in the back of my consciousness) I find myself spending more and more time shopping for the perfect everything for our new apartment.

It only makes sense, because you see, we're getting rid of a lot of our furniture before we move. The couches are too big to bring with us (there's no way we're getting those beasts up four narrow flights of stairs, let alone finding a place to park them once in the apartment) Pete's desk is also too bulky and heavy to be practical, and our dining set has outlived it's welcome in this life. Not to mention that all our linens are five years old now and well ready to be retired. So really, we need to refresh our home furnishings collection.

This is where the problem comes in. My philosophy is this; if we have to buy new furniture and linens, we might as well invest in pieces we love and want to keep forever. Like these:
Definitely an investment at just a shade under 4 grand, but well worth it. Can you even imagine the family photos we could take on this gorgeous sofette?!


How can you not feel like you're at the spa in a bathroom decked out like this?! I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $108.

My sweet angel husband's thoughts are these; we have a young family and limited space and resources. We should buy inexpensive furnishings that meet our needs and we won't be devastated if they get "well used" by our kids. We can get really nice furniture someday when we have a house to put it in and more money to buy it with.

His idea of the way we should furnish our home looks more like this:

Ikea, $699. Actually, he'd probably go for a fabric version that's even cheaper.
We bought this bed from the couple leaving our apartment, the split queen box spring included, for $100. Also Ikea originally.
Ikea again. I think this one was $12.99.

And this doesn't even touch the debate about what to get the for baby to sleep in. We're planning on converting Amelia's crib into a toddler bed, (yes, my two-and-a-half-year-old still sleeps in a crib. It just keeps her too well confined at night and nap times for me to willingly give it up just yet) so Babygirl 2 needs a new bed. I've been dreaming of this one for months:



An instant heirloom and a steal at only $549.00 on sale!

Pete favors this option:



Ikea for $99. (In all fairness, Pete didn't actually pick this out, he's just more comfortable with the price range).

So what's a girl to do? I guess this is what people mean when they talk rubbish about "compromise in marriage," and "living like college students after graduation," and all that type of rot.

But maybe compromise means I can still have at least one really nice piece that I adore? Maybe???

7 comments:

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Oh I do hope so! Those are marvelous pieces, but the babies WILL undoubtedly ruin them. And hey! You can always paint the $99 crib a pretty aged cream like the one above! I think you might just need Sharon's assistance in making the cheaper options still chic.

Vintage Butterfly said...

I have four children, and I too, have champagne taste, and have found, that my children, have ruined the "nicer" things I have had...so now, I try to find comparative pieces that I can make look "more expensive" and then I keep a visual journal full of my "dream pieces" so that someday, when all my kids are grown, I can treat myself to some really nice pieces that can then be passed to my children and their children someday. ahhh the joys of parenthood! Congrats on the new place though! I wish you many happy years ahead!

Alexis Kaye said...

hahah I relate to this all to well. However, I do LOVE the bed fram you bought. I love the clean lines. and that ikea crib is so ugly..the baby can sleep in a dresser drawer.

The Broderick Family Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Broderick Family Blog said...

The key is finding a really cool piece (or pieces) on deep discount. That's the best of both worlds. Just have Pete set the limit of how much you can spend on one piece then you can go shopping to see how far you can stretch the money.

Sharon Gorrell said...

i love it i love it i love it!

Stephanie Braithwaite said...

I totally hear ya! (I UNDERSTAND your way of thinking.) ;)