Monday, June 6, 2011

The Celebrating Begins

On Friday I went in for my ultrasound and to find out the gender of our baby. I guess I should say we went in for my ultrasound; Peter, Amelia and I. It was a family affair. But this time around I wanted things to be a bit different. Instead of lying on the table and having the ultrasound technician say, “It’s a _______,” which I felt was a little anticlimactic for an announcement that changes my entire life, I wanted to make a bigger deal of the whole experience. In fact, I wanted to turn it into a celebration.

So Pete and I decided not to have the tech tell us the baby’s gender. Instead, we had her write it down on a card and seal it in an envelope. (She warned us when to close our eyes during the ultrasound so as to maintain the surprise.) Then we took the envelope to a local baby boutique and Pete chose out a pair of baby boy shoes and I chose a pair of girl shoes. We made sure the boxes were the same size and shape. We then took the shoes and the envelope up to the girl at the register and asked her to open the envelope and ring up the appropriate pair of shoes and giftwrap them for us without us seeing which shoes won.

That evening, Pete and I had our parents and my brother and sister come over for an announcement party. They were all there as we opened the gift and found out whom to expect to arrive in October (aside from Moms, sisters and Relief Society ladies).

Here’s the video (please pardon the squealing. It’s a McKinlay thing):


I am excited to have another girl. I simply couldn't be happier. Because happy is what happens when all your dreams come true. Isn't it?

But even though most of my heart is rejoicing for this new little girl to come into our lives, there is a small but very real part of my heart that is mourning for the loss of the baby boy of my dreams. (Not my literal dreams--I haven't had any visitations in my sleep. Just to clarify).

I just mean that I was the teensiest bit hoping for a boy. Maybe just to have a completely new experience. Maybe because I know how badly Pete wants a son. Maybe because I come from a family of mostly girls and part of me wanted assurance that I will have a son on this side of the grave. I don't know.

But I do know I'll get over it long before this girl is here and that I'll feel nothing but adoration when I see her. It's part of my plan. You know, my plan for a more emotionally connected and conscientious birth experience. The one that will make me a calmer, more loving and in control mom during those first postpartum weeks. Probably.

So.

Thus begins the shopping. There's nothing like shopping baby girl clothes to eradicate any wistful thoughts of baby boys that can wait their turn!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

CONGRATS! How exciting for you! What a creative way to find out, and how exciting to share that moment with your family members.

I'm so excited to see you all soon, and please let us know if there is anything that you need for the big move! We are happy to help!

xo

Marianne said...

So fun! Jesse has a cousin who kinda did the same thing. They took the note from the ultrasound tech to Kneaders and had them make either a pink or blue cake based on what was in there, and at a family dinner, they cut into the cake to find out what their baby is. So cute. And seriously...so fun to have another girl. I was happy to have a boy, but I was the teensiest bit hoping to have another girl, because I wanted Addie to have a little sister. (Oh, and after spending all day getting this stinker of a 10-month-old baby boy out of precarious situations that he's drawn to like a magnet, I spend a lot of time thinking wistfully of baby girls...) Congratulations!

Kaitlin Heckert said...

I'm pleased to know Amelia has inherited the squeal! And she got a hair cut! What a little tweedums. I am so excited for you to be having another girl Charlo, I truly am! Girls clothes are SO much more fun than boys. And she and Amelia are going to be real chums!