Thursday, January 13, 2011

Writing about Writing

Right now I want to write about writing; because after all, Moi am a writer.


Depending on the day.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you all a bit about the project I currently have in the works. I'm doing this in hopes that writing about writing will re-excite me about my novel. You know, bring back that spark and motivate me to want to spend some quality (quantity) time together.

Side Note: the terms I'm using to describe my project have led me to the realization that my relationship with my novel is very much like a marriage--I won't say my marriage, that's grounds for giving too much info--just A marriage, and I'll tell you how; I love my project. I really do; that's why I committed to it in the first place. It's charming and funny and I enjoy spending time with it. But sometimes I get busy, and well, distracted. Then I start ignoring my novel so I can work on "more important things," and I think, "It can take care of itself for a while. Really, It won't even notice if I don't work on it for a few days. Or weeks."

But it notices. And gets moody. So then when I'm all geared up and ready for some prime writin' time, it refuses. Nothing comes. Sigh.

Then you have to work like the Dickens (Charles Dickens, in fact--who worked a lot at writing. If you don't believe me, read one of his books, any one will do; and you'll soon see what I mean) to get back on good terms with the novel. You know, reread previous material; freewrite; brainstorm, write pages upon pages of dribble, bake cookies; eat cookies; etc. until the novel is in a more congenial mood. (If you are guessing that this is precisely what I'm doing now, that is an astute observation.)

So, on to telling you about my masterpiece-in-progress (it can't hurt to flatter it a bit, can it? It works in marriages--so I've heard).

My novel is about a girl. Exciting, eh? Her name is Ginger. She is seventeen and lives in New York City where she works in the family bakery owned by her parents. Ginger has a knack for baking and can't imagine a happier life for herself than working in the bakery for the rest of her life and becoming a celebrated pastry chef like her father.

Ginger has an older sister (Rose) who is not interested in the bakery at all. In fact, Rose despises the bakery. She is extremely beautiful and ambitious (not necessarily in that order) and she is heavily involved in campaigning to reach her life's goal of becoming a supermodel. For real. Rose sees the family business as being 'small time," and a waste of time.

Ginger and Rose are very close despite their opposite personalities and Ginger has an immensely difficult time dealing with some drastic decisions Rose makes.

In the meantime, it is the summer between Ginger's Junior and Senior year in high school. She is working blissfully at the bakery full-time and trying to ignore the growing stack of college applications her father keeps piling in her bedroom. She has no desire to leave home, the bakery or her family for the unknowns of college. It is during this time that she meets Christian.

Christian is an amiable and disarming farm boy from Upstate New York who delivers fresh eggs to the bakery every week. Ginger is immediately attracted to him and a relationship develops between them that causes Ginger to question a lot of things about herself. This is the primary plotline that moves the novel.

While all of this is going on, Ginger becomes interested in reading the journals of immigrants who came to America in the early 1900's. She comes across the life story of an Irish girl (Margaret Murphy) and recognizes how much the two of them have in common despite being separated by over 100 years. The whole novel intersperses snippets of Margaret's journal with the experiences Ginger is having, comparing and contrasting them.

I can't tell you too much more about the story without spoiling it. But I hope it sounds interesting. I've certainly spent a lot of hours working on this, and am bound and determined to finish it.

Someday.

Hopefully when I do, it will be worth reading (or rather, publishing--which are two entirely different things, incidentally) and then you all will be able to know the whole story.

But for now, I have some serious writing to do.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

I used to work with a girl several years ago who got me thinking about writing fiction. She told me a few years ago that she had finished a young adult novel, and felt discouraged by the whole process of shopping it around, so she shoved it under her bed. Lo and behold, she sent me a message the other day saying she had signed with a literary agent. Very excited about that novel she told me about a few years ago, I assumed that's what it was. Nope - it was her third try, meaning third novel.

*sigh*

I feel like I have so much work ahead. And I really, really hate the thought of the two stories I'm working on just being those "tries" that I end up shoving under the bed.

And where I'm going with this is that this story doesn't sound shove-under-the-bed worthy. Love, love, love it. (As you should, too.)

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Yay sister!!! I'm excited for you! I think it sounds very intriguing and I hope to read it someday when you finish! Good luck Charlo!

Renee Collins said...

Charlotte, I love the premise of your novel! It sounds great! Definitely keep working at it. :)

And I hear you about how a novel is like a marriage. Boy do I ever. Some days you're madly in love. Other days you want to ring your poor novel's neck.

Sophia Chang said...

Just saw your comment on Renee's blog and had to come over - great blog name :)

In my mind, all great books are really romances underneath it all, no matter their genre. :P