Friday, January 1, 2010

This is how we spent Christmas

Christmas Party with the Tidwell's





I knew the plan was to act out the Nativity with all the grandkids, so I decided to make Amelia a lamb costume. Everyone kept saying she was the cutest little teddy bear they'd ever seen--so apparently the whole lamb thing didn't really come across. But I still make her wear the hat when we go out and it makes strangers happy to see her wear it everywhere we go. Really. It's astonishing how many comments we get. So I consider the project a success. I may start selling teddy bear hats online. Or at least make one for my new niece.

Oh, and of course Pete made a Christmas cake for the party. This is Jiveen the Snowman. Don't ask where I came up with that name, it just came to me. I loved him and it was kind of sad to serve him for dessert. I didn't have the heart to eat any of him. Red velvet, in case you were wondering.





Then, on to Christmas Eve with the McKinlay's; Temple Square:



The very best part of this little field trip was that as soon as my family started walking around the temple grounds we saw a group of four darling old men wearing bow ties standing together and tuning their voices. They were a barber shop quartet! And we had the good fortune to be just in time to hear them sing Christmas carols. They only sang two songs before dispersing, so really is was quite good luck to catch them. Definitely my highlight.

Other highlights:

Amelia riding the Tracks. She was chatting away at the top of her lungs and making faces at the other passengers--she is a very friendly baby.



Family picture.

We just about never take family pictures, but I didn't want to miss this opportunity to get all of us together in front of the temple where Pete and I were married. I even allowed Bob-the-stroller to be in the picture, as it is a bit of a hassle to load the babydoll in and out when she's bundled up like an overstuffed burrito. (Oh, and if you are noticing that my hair looks a bit mad, you are not wrong. I look like a lion who has discovered humidity. The gently falling snow, though beautiful, has some drawbacks.)



Taking Amelia to see Jesus.

I'm just now realizing we never did take her to see Santa Clause this year. I can feel ok about seeing Jesus instead.)



Christmas Eve at home.

I've been looking forward to taking photos of Amelia by the Christmas tree on her first Christmas since she was born.



She did better than I expected with the Christmas tree; she never did pull it completely over on top of herself. However, the bottom foot and a half of the tree was void of decorations. An unfortunate, but necessary arrangement.

Christmas was wonderful. Merry Christmas, we love you, even if we never did get around to sending out Christmas cards this year!

No comments: