Friday, January 1, 2010

Baby New Year

Last night I was lying in bed thinking about the past year, and to be perfectly honest, getting just slightly depressed about the prospects for this new year. I was thinking that nothing was going to really change in 2010 (I know, I must have momentarily forgotten that I have a child, and really forgotten how fast she's growing up and changing). But I was thinking that Pete will still be in school, we will still be living in the same apartment (oh, it has character) and I'll still be working from home writing boring rubbish for an online marketing company for the foreseeable future. These were my pleasant thoughts as I welcomed in the new year and drifted off to sleep.

Then this morning the world changed. My sister had a New Year's baby. A girl, called Caroline Jane. I am an Auntie, and Amelia has a cousin. she even looks a little bit like Amelia.

I know, babies are born all the time. But when a new baby comes into your family it has a way of making you think about things that maybe you don't think about often, like what a miracle your own child is, and how heart-melting it is to watch your husband grow into a really great father. At least those are the kinds of things it made me think about.

I had to pull out all Amelia's newborn photos and remember what it was like to hold her squirmy body for the first time and smell her hair (and be grateful that she had hair).

Amelia was beautiful. Amelia is beautiful. My wonderful (and handsome) husband never ceases to impress me and make me proud. And I have so much to look forward to in 2010.

No comments: