Monday, July 23, 2012

What Happened Today


Today my three year old:
-Flooded the bathroom sink
-Smeared chocolate on one of my living room chairs
-Ate half a bottle of Tums before I caught her
-Wet her pants (twice)
-Used permanent marker on her bed
-Pulled out every wipe in a brand new package
-Scattered my earring dish across the nursery floor, a number of them are now missing
-Dug into my sewing tote and wadded up the tissue paper pattern pieces I had cut out


Some days I don't feel the joy or privilege of motherhood. Some days I think a two year lease is a much better option than a contract for life--and longer. Some days, I realize I'm clearly not paying enough attention and this poor kids is turning herself inside out to get me to notice her. 



3 comments:

Marianne said...

I hear ya. The other day at church, I was enviously watching other moms who were beautifully dressed and nicely coiffed, snuggling their babies and reading scriptures. I, on the other hand, was the very picture of a mess, holding a crying baby in one arm, wrangling a 2-year-old with the other (trying to keep him from escaping) with a 4-year-old draped over my lap, whining for a treat. And while I kept thinking, "I did NOT sign up for this!"...I know full well I did. *sigh* I kinda like that lease idea...

The Broderick Family Blog said...

I'm so sorry! I appreciate blog posts like this because it helps me have realistic expectations for the future. Some blogs seem to picture perfect. Claire is just started to crawl. Up until now I have had it easy as a mom. Thanks for keeping it real. Good luck!

Elizabeth said...

Oh Charlotte, I have to say I loved this comment on my blog and then came here to comment and you had posted the same thing.
Yup.
Sometimes I feel that I'm just not appreciating it.
They know how to press all the right buttons.
There are days that I am absolutely at the edge (past the edge, actually) of my limit, and that I am the worst mother on the planet.
I think it's just part of being a three-year-old, AND, just part of being a mom. I so hear you on the frustrations.
And I love reading about other mothers' frustrations because then I know I'm not the only one. ;)