Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Now She is Three

For Amelia's second birthday I planned a big soiree with a butterfly theme; fancy invitations for all the neighborhood tots, lots of carefully handcrafted treats, cute party favors and games.

It never happened.

I was newly pregnant and not at all up to actually hosting the toddler bash of the century. So all that stuff went into a closet. Luckily, it all made it's way across the country in our moving truck last summer, so for this birthday I pretty much had a party ready made.

Unfortunately, several of Amelia's little friends were out of town for the long holiday weekend (no one celebrates President's Day like New Yorkers--pretty much any excuse to go on vacation, they will) so our numbers were few. But since we live in a tiny apartment it all worked out quite nicely.

I bought a package of plain white butterfly masks at Michael's and pulled out every imaginable embellishment for little imaginations to decorate with. There were glitter, rhinestones, stickers, flowers, feathers, ribbons, foam shapes, etc. The kids had a ball.



The star of the party, however, was not my brilliant mask-making activity. It was Pete's butterfly birthday cake.




What can I say, the man's brilliant with sugar. 


So happy birthday to my little lady. You are darlingest and I love you.  

Photo by the incomparable Lesley Colvin.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh, she's so cute, too!

(Original, I know, but it's true!)

The masks and cake are amazing.