Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Food for Thought: Real Food = Real Thought

Those of you who know Pete and me personally know that we are Food People. (I hesitate to call ourselves "foodies" as I think that term is jealously guarded by a small, elite, and militant group of individuals who would probably eschew us with a firm hand based on the fact that we have eaten at Arby's by choice in the last six months. I can't give up the curly fries.) But we love food. And we love to make food and get really excited about trying new foods.

And I've been thinking about food a lot lately. Individuals and cultures have largely defined themselves in terms of diet and cuisine since the first pot of neolithic stew made it's unfortunate appearance. We're lucky early man didn't give up on cultivating his palate right then and there. So, defining ourselved using what we cook and eat as criteria, who are we as Americans? I'm not sure we know. Probably cheap, fast and easy. Hooray.

Oh, and did I mention that I've been readying Michael Pollan lately? This book:



Brilliant stuff. I am starting to believe it should be required reading in all college and university health courses. I know I will never think about food (particularly supermarket food) the same way.

So with the influences of the Food Network, Michael Pollan and all the different food cultures that New York has to offer swirling around in my nose and my brain, I've been making a more conscious effort to be actively aware of what I eat, and more to the point, what exactly is in what I eat.

Tonight Pete and I took a step in reclaiming our freedom from the extensive and unpronounceable ingredient lists found on typical packaged foods that are more reminiscent of a science lab than a kitchen, and made homemade tortillas for our Mexican dinner. Delicious. I'm so energized by the success. And it wasn't even hard!

Now, I'm not going to get all crazy and utterly refuse to eat anything that has been in the slightest bit processed or lacks sufficient nutritional information, especially as a guest. It seems impractical, and besides I quite agree with the French who believe that having special dietary requirements is bad manners. But I am committed to eating as locally and seasonally as possible. Not necessarily organically, or vegan, or even vegetarian. Just fresh and local. With myself (or Pete) being the chief preparers of food. Sticking to these guidelines, I believe, will help us to stay healthier, learn to live better, and attune us to enjoying the truly finer things in life.

Now I need to find a good local Farmer's Market in Manhattan.

2 comments:

Meaghan said...

Hey its Kaitlin's friend Meaghan. I enjoy reading your blog! Also when I was living in New York there was a great Farmers Market in Union Square Park. http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces//one?public_place_id=24 There also these street fairs that happen
http://www.nycstreetfairs.com/sched.html But I like the Union Square market for food. So yeah I hope that helps :)

Sharon Gorrell said...

The nation is awakening....