Monday, June 28, 2010

Imagine . . . Strawberry Fields, The Met(s) and Carnegie Deli



There aren't really any strawberries in Strawberry Fields. Just this mosaic tribute to John Lennon. But, none-the-less it's a beautiful area in Central Park. The highlight of this particular excursion to Central Park however, was not seeing all the teary eyed hippies in tie dye holding vigils for the Beatles, it was seeing the Central Park Skate Dancers. There were skaters of all ages breaking it down to disco music. It took me back to my junior year of high school; the class above my year had an alarming fixation on disco skating.

I love this guy:



Anyway, Amelia was enthralled and we stood and watched the skate dancers for a long time.

We eventually wandered our way over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met) and soaked up some culture there for a couple hours. We are great fans of classic sculpture.




Amelia was especially delighted to see the "kitty." Luckily kitties like this live deep down in the subway and we haven't seen any above ground as of yet.



The Egyptian Art wing of the museum is also pretty impressive. Here's Pete with one of his new demigod pals.






We also tried to visit the new Picasso exhibit at the museum but it was on the rather crowded side of life and the babe was really restless and making a great deal of charming toddler noises and we were getting devil glares from so many middle aged tourists in visors and tube socks that we left. I don't much fancy Picasso anyway.

After leaving the Museum we headed to Carnegie Deli for dinner. The menu is very amusing; not a single sandwich under $18. Of course you realize what an incredible deal you are getting when your sandwich appears and it is roughly large enough to feed a family of five. Here's my chicken salad BLT:



And on Wednesday we went to a Mets game. Every time I mention this people get all agitated and ask me if I'm a Mets fan while looking as if they are preparing to beat me senseless. I'm not really a big Mets fan. Or even a little one really; in fact I'd never seen them play before. But Pete got tickets through L'Oreal and we thought it would be a good laugh so we went. We actually wanted to go to both a Mets game and a Yankees game while we're here to fully experience New York life.

The game wasn't overly exciting; the Mets beat the Tigers 5 to 0. But the new Mets stadium is pretty impressive. And Pete almost caught a T-shirt shot into the crowd but let the kid in front of us catch it instead. Chivalrous.


2 comments:

Kaitlin Heckert said...

First of all, I love the shirt you are wearing in front of the sphinx. Secondly, I don't believe for a second that you finished that sandwich. How did you even fit it in your mouth!? You didn't right? You ate it piece by piece?

Andrea and Preston said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast in New York! I love the pics--especially the one of the old guy running.....bahahaha!