Friday, May 28, 2010

Lists

Four years ago this coming Monday Pete and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple.



As I've been thinking lately about my marriage, my family and our lives together I can't help but realized how undeniably blessed I am, and have always been over the years. My mother has made the comment to me more than once that I lead a 'charmed life.' I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that, we've definitely seen some rough patches, but I cannot deny that the overall tone of my life is a rosy one. It seems as if I've somehow been allowed to custom order the people in my life to my own specifications, which brings me to Lists.

I am not a big believer in making Lists--its a List with a capital L because I'm talking about the kind of Lists that stipulate exactly how a future husband must be; in short, the kinds of Lists they tell you to write in Young Womens. I don't like these kinds of Lists because I think they set up unrealistic expectations of other human beings, and ultimately serve as an obstacle to finding and loving a wonderful though flawed companion.

However, despite my aversion to these Lists, I was talked into writing a List shortly before I came home from my mission by my good friend and then companion Lindsey Pinon (now Briggs). I'm actually grateful to her for encouraging me to write this List because as a missionary, it was probably the time in my life when I was most aware of what is truly, divinely important to me, as well as a time when I was constantly surrounded by examples of what an exceptional husband could and should be. I was blessed with a remarkable mission president as well as the intimate acquaintance of many senior missionary couples and church leaders. For the first time in my life, I believe, I had a clear vision of what characteristics I really wanted in a husband.

So I wrote a List. It wasn't a very long one; I believe it only contained a half dozen items, and not one mention of a height requirement, a mandate for dimples, or a wish for outstanding musical or athletic ability. I tucked this list into my journal and came home.

It wasn't long after Pete and I started dating that I realized he was the embodiment of my List, plus some very appreciated extras (he has a dimple!). There were only 45 days between our first date and our official engagement (we had been unofficially engaged for two weeks at that point).

And he has made me happy every day since. I couldn't have done better if I had custom ordered him myself.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Happy Anniversary! We are going to miss you :(

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Thats lovely Charlotte. Perfectly tender. Sooooooo, you're sayin I should burn my list of 72 qualities I want in a man? Even if I don't mention height, dimples, or musical and athletic abilities?