Thursday, December 20, 2007

Bombshell with Brains

I finished college yesterday. I sat in that stuffy overcrammed auditorium that I've been attending History 201 in for the past four months wondering who all these people taking the exam were, and why they never came to class all semester as I wrote a brilliant essay on the causes of the rise of Western Europe after the collapse of the Roman Empire. At 2:30 I dotted my last period, threw down my pen and yelled "It's over! I'm Free!!" Well not really. I actually dropped my pen, nearly hit my head on the chair in front of me when I stooped to pick it up, and stepped on three peoples' toes as I squeezed down the aisle to turn in my test. I am not normally a clumsy person. But this is huge. I realized that now my school days are over and I have so many choices and responsibilities ahead of me. I need to get a full-time job so I can earn some money and start saving to buy a house, and I need to get a job with good benefits so I can afford to have a baby someday to put in that house, and I really want to spend more time working on my novel now, but that's kind of scary too because what if it's no good and no one will publish it?
I think thinking about all this made me nervous. That explains the toe stepping. In fact it must have made me nervous because after I finished the exam I just kept thinking about what I should do with my life now, so I had to go to the track and run a couple of miles. Then I went home and took a shower and shaved my legs. No matter what comes next in life, I knew I wanted to meet it with smooth and shiny legs.

No comments: