Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Ice Queen Melted

My birthday was on Friday the 21st and my family truly outdid themselves celebrating for me this year. I have been so busy lately with working from home, getting the nursery ready for the baby, being the Relief Society president, preparing for the holidays and other random projects that my birthday kind of snuck up on my without my paying much attention, so when everyone went all out for me it was most unexpected--so much so that I actually cried--a few times.

I got a surprise package in the post from Kaitlin in San Francisco with teh DVD Sabrina (Harrison Ford and Julia Whatshername and who cares anyway because it's Harrison Ford I watch the movie for). As I mentioned in an earlier post, Sabrina is probably my all time favorite chick flick and I coerced Kait into watching it with me right before she left me for a bigger city. But the tear jerker was the sweet card she sent with it (I won't tell you what she said, but it left me crying into my birthday poptarts).

That evening when I came home from spoiling myself (or rather, spoiling the baby by taking a shopping spree and buying ridiculously expensive decor for her room) Pete had a surprise for me. He covered my eyes and led me into the baby's room where this was waiting for me:



Which really got me crying. And I don't cry. In fact, on my mission the other missionaries started calling me the Ice Queen because I just about never got all weepy and emotional (among other reasons--which I maintain only made me a better missionary). In the past two and a half years that Pete and I have been married he has seen me cry a grand total of six times. But this beautiful rocking chair sitting in the torn up, soon-to-be nursery melted me and I cried.

Pete then took me to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner; Pizzaria 712 (the highest end pizza you will EVER eat in your life) and to Comedy Sportz where I have never seen them put on such a good show (and Pete and I used to be regulars).

All this left me feeling that I had so much to be grateful for--highly appropriate for this time of the year--and anytime really. I am so grateful for a husband who loves me despite my present resemblance to a killer whale, and who is so excited to become a dad that he is in the backyard right now sanding and refinishing a dresser for Baby Girl who won't be able to say 'thank you' or know why she should for at least a couple of years.

I am grateful for a family that, despite our weirdnesses, loves eachother and comes through for eachother without fail, and I am grateful that I have a purpose in my life directing my choices and bringing me happiness and fulfillment. I am grateful that I am not confused about who I am and that when this little girl is born I can help her remember who she is so she never forgets. And I am grateful that my heart knows how to melt and that I'm becoming all soft underneath and I can cry occasionally because that's what moms are supposed to be, right?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

So sweet! I'm so glad you had such a marvelous and sweet birthday. Um, by the way, happy belated birthday. The rocking chair is beautiful. I'm so glad you felt spoiled and appreciated...you are amazing and deserve to feel it!

Kaitlin Heckert said...

Well that was just sweet Charles! But still no pictures!! I want to SEE your big fat belly!

Jared & Larisa said...

Happy belated b-day :) It was great to see you at Grandma's funeral - you and Pete are so cute and your little girl is very lucky to be joining your family! Our blog is www.kyserboof.blogspot.com

irishkaren said...

awhh glad you b-day was so fun! Hope you had a good thanksgiving, Had the sister missionaries over for Thanksgiving, it was a deja-vue of 4 years ago when I was heavily prego and we had all you missionaries over to my sisters house for thanksgiving whilst we were there babysitting for the week. Hey I'm right there with ya on the killer whale thing, I've just under 3 weeks to go and I'm more like 2 whales combined, it's scary!!